The CDMC Broadening Participation Strategic Plan includes supporting the success of all students, faculty and staff reached by the Center and creating a culture of belonging throughout the Center. The Center annually surveys all participants for reporting to the National Science Foundation and to assess the Center's culture and programming. Across the 72 Center-funded individuals who completed the 2023 annual demographics survey, 49% are female, 26% are underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities, and 4% are persons with a disability.
Broadening Participation - CDCM On Campus & In the Community
Creating a Culture of Belonging
In addition to integrating efforts throughout all levels of CDCM to recruit and engage students, faculty and staff with varied experiences that contribute to Center research and goals, the Center is committed to creating a welcoming and supportive culture. Center activities include:
- Celebrations of interdisciplinary and multicultural teams and team members throughout the center in the CDCM eNewsletter and other events.
- Gratitude moments and mental health moments in meetings, eNewsletters and other events.
- Workshops on how to be an effective STEM role model and how to engage all students and the public in outreach and education efforts.
- Supporting the Student Leadership Council with periodic meetings with center leadership to discuss graduate student and post doc well-being, strategies to support students, and ways to create a more welcoming research group, lab, and center environment for all center participants.
- Peer mentoring programs to connect undergraduate and graduate students with peers in the center for sharing resources, answering questions, building a community, having fun and more. See the side bar for more information and a link to apply.
- Grad Life: Housing, transportation, family and childcare, health and wellness, and other campus and community resources for graduate students
- Disability and Access: Campus resources for persons with disabilities
- Employee Resources: Health and wellness, learning and development, conflict resolution resources and more
- Texas Career Engagement: Career resources for all students
Creating a Culture of Belonging: Join the MRSEC Peer Mentoring Program
Connect with other MRSEC students MRSEC in a mentoring pod for advice on campus and community resources, graduate school, research, life in Austin, or whatever else you need! These mentoring pods can bring you valuable connections and resources, new friends, collaborators and lots of fun.