2018 REU dates: June 4 – August 3, 2018
The Center for Dynamics and Control of Materials is offering a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in 2018. Students will have the opportunity to work directly with faculty on interdisciplinary materials research projects involving chemistry, physics, materials science, and engineering disciplines. In addition to the research, students will participate in an organized program of lectures, lunches with CDCM faculty, laboratory visits and a variety of recreational activities.
Benefits of the CDCM REU:
- Gain hands-on research experience in a cutting edge field
- Be mentored by a faculty member
- Join a team of researchers and scientists
- Participate in prof. development workshops
- Produce results and present your research
- Prepare for your future!
Potential Research Topics:
- Nanocrystals & Nanowire Gels
- Nanowire Aerogel Membranes
- Materials Driven by Light
- Reconfigurable Materials
The 9-week program takes place on the University of Texas at Austin campus and includes:
- A stipend valued at $4,500
- Housing in a UT Austin university dorm
- Travel allowance
- Social/recreational activities
Application Requirements (online)
In order to apply you must complete an online application form (item 1 below). You are also required to submit the additional materials using the box upload widget at the bottom of the page.
- Online Application/Student Information Form
- Statement of Purpose*
- One Letter of Recommendation* (from Faculty member)
- Copy of Academic Transcript*
- Proof of Insurance* (before start date)
* – files to upload using widget below
- Sophomore, Junior, or non-graduating Senior
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minority and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- All chemistry, physics, molecular biosciences and engineering majors are welcome to apply
- GPA of 3.0 or greater (out of 4.0).
- Non-UT Austin students
The application deadline for this year’s program is February 2, 2018. Selected candidates will be informed by March 1, 2018.
If you have questions about the application process or the program, please contact Risa Hartman at: rhartman “at” che.utexas.edu